TBE is a sister congregation with Ohel Avraham (OA) at the Leo Baeck Education Center in Haifa. As we foster this connection, we are amazed by our shared missions, visions and support for the Reform Movement in Israel:
Friends from Haifa:
I’m Meital Riskin. I’m 36, born and raised in Haifa. My parents made aliyah from Argentina in the 70s. I’ve been a member of Ohel Avraham since I began kindergarten at Leo Baeck at 4 years old, and consider Leo Baeck and Ohel Avraham my family and second home.
Hi, I’m Danny Benjoseph. I was born in Haifa and was one of the first to do a Bar Mitzvah at a Reform synagogue. I lived in Rhode Island and New York and my children live in New York. I have been a member of Ohel Avraham since I came back to Israel 7 years ago.
What’s happening at Ohel Avraham?
- Mental Health Awareness Kabbalat Shabbat: A community member tells a personal story about struggling with mental health issues to help erase the stigma.
- Kabbalat Shabbat Shirat Hayam: Musical sunset service at the beach.
- Celebrating Mimuna with the Maronite Christians: The local Maronite Church will host OA members to celebrate the end of Passover and the return to eating chamatz, based on a Moroccan Muslim tradition.
- Zikaron Ba’salon: Holocaust survivors share their personal stories in congregants’ homes.
- Interfaith tour of Haifa – OA members develop friendships and understanding with people from various religions (Muslem, Ahmadi, Christians, Bahai) on a tour of Haifa.