- Community Engagement
Info Session: Partakers Mentoring Opportunities (Online)
- Thursday, November 30, 2023
- 7:00 PM to 8:15 PM
- Join us online
The Partakers Mentor Programs match volunteer mentor teams with incarcerated individuals working on their college degrees while in prison and with returning citizens navigating the challenges and opportunities of re-entry. Since 2017, dozens of TBE members have had the truly unique experience of developing transformative, helping relationships with incarcerated individuals and recently released returning citizens.
Please join us to hear about the inspiring, transformative volunteer opportunities in TBE’s two unique criminal justice-involved mentoring programs:
- Partakers College Behind Bars Mentors — Mentoring individuals working on college degrees while serving prison sentences
- Partakers Empowerment Program (PEP) Reentry Mentors — Mentoring individuals recently released from prison
You will have a chance to learn:
- What is involved in mentoring an incarcerated individual or returning citizen?
- How do the College Behind Bars and re-entry mentoring programs differ?
- What qualities or skills are you looking for in mentors?
- How much time will I be committing?
- What kind of training or support is provided?
TBE’s Partakers Coordinator Amy Benjamin and Partakers Executive Director Arthur Bembury will talk about the programs and answer your questions. They will review roles, responsibilities, and expectations of mentors (and mentees), modes of mentor-mentee communication, logistics of in-person prison visits, and more. Former and current College Behind Bars mentors will also be available to share their experiences and answer questions.
Partakers is currently seeking volunteers to help mentor new students in the Emerson College Prison Initiative based at MCI Norfolk. Re-entry mentoring opportunities will be available again in early Spring 2024.
This program is for you if you are interested in becoming a College Behind Bars mentor or if you would like to learn more about College Behind Bars or Re-Entry Mentor mentoring opportunities (there’s no commitment required to attend the training).
Registration: Please click the purple bar above to join us online.
Sponsored by TBE’s Racial Justice Initiative, which works to increase our understanding and activism to address ongoing discrimination and inequality.
Organizer / CONTACT PERSON
- Amy Benjamin
- Email: email@example.com